Reverse a String – Enter a string and the program will reverse it and print it out.
Pig Latin – Pig Latin is a game of alterations played on the English language game. To form the Pig Latin form of an English word the initial consonant sound is transposed to the end of the word and an ay is affixed (Ex.: “banana” would yield anana-bay). Read Wikipedia for more information on rules.
Count Vowels – Enter a string and the program counts the number of vowels in the text. For added complexity have it report a sum of each vowel found.
Check if Palindrome – Checks if the string entered by the user is a palindrome. That is that it reads the same forwards as backwards like “racecar”
Count Words in a String – Counts the number of individual words in a string. For added complexity read these strings in from a text file and generate a summary.
Text Editor – Notepad style application that can open, edit, and save text documents. Add syntax highlighting and other features.
RSS Feed Creator – A program which can read in text from other sources and put it in RSS or Atom news format for syndication.
Post it Notes Program – A program where you can add text reminders and post them. You can have the program also add popup reminders.
Quote Tracker (market symbols etc) – A program which can go out and check the current value of stocks for a list of symbols entered by the user. The user can set how often the stocks are checked and the program can show green up and red down arrows to show which direction the stock value has moved.
Guestbook / Journal – A simple application that can be for online that can allow people to add comments or write journal entries. It can allow comments or not and timestamps all entries. Could also be made into a shout box.
News Ticker and Game Scores – A program which sits on your desktop and aggregates news and game scores from various sources on the net and scrolls them across the screen on regular intervals.
Fortune Teller (Horoscope) – A program that checks your horoscope on various astrology sites and puts them together for you each day.
Vigenere / Vernam / Ceasar Ciphers – Functions for encrypting and decrypting data messages. Then send them to a friend.
Random Gift Suggestions – Enter various gifts for certain people when you think of them and when its time to give them a gift (xmas, birthday, anniversary) it will randomly pick one and perhaps places you can get it.
Text to HTML Generator – Converts text files into web HTML files and stylizes them. Great for making online documentation of standard text documentation.
CD Key Generator – Generates a unique key for your applications to use based on some arbitrary algorithm that you can specify. Great for software developers looking to make shareware that can be activated.
Regex Query Tool – A tool that allows the user to enter a text string and then in a separate control enter a regex pattern. It will then run the regular expression against the source text and return any matches or flag errors in the regular expression.
- make a text-based menu system. An Inventory. Buy items from menu, increase inventory, decrease ‘store’ inventory. Sell items from menu, decrease inventory, increase ‘store’ inventory.
- make a program to encrypt/decrypt a string
- make a word-guess/number-guess game
- find a web site and extract data from the HTML with the program to give you auto-updates
- get the first 3 results of a google search based on user input, and display the title and link
- create a program to search all subdirectories for a specific file extension and copy those files to a different directory.
- create a program to check your public IP address
- create a program to email yourself
- create a program to download the newest file of something automatically
- make a terminal progress bar
- make a program to change terminal color for specific words
- make a program to check your system information
- make a program that saves input to a file, and automatically saves a time stamp for the time it was saved
- create a tutorial for the language you are learning. It will help teach it to yourself.
- make a notification program. For every month/week/day/hour/minute it notifies you of something
- get html from cragislist,. parse, and post it on your facebook wall for updated info regarding the latest
- make a web browser
- make a code snippet program (terminal or GUI) to collect snippets of code you come across while programming. From a database, save/load a key to save/get the snippet desired.
- Make an IRC bot
- build a search engine
- build GPS Direction from point A to point B